Saturday, December 26, 2009

Things I support (a little raving)

Last week I made a list of 8 things with which I am officially done. As I am now in the Christmas spirit, I thought I would try to make a list of things that I view as good and exciting. Without further ado, 8 things I support:

1. The life-changing power of the Gospel: God changes people through faith in Christ Jesus. I love to see the Holy Spirit at work in the lives of people in our little community. I love to see that look in someone's eyes when they all of sudden connect with God in a surprising, yet deeply satisfying way. I just love it when people hear the Scriptures speak to them; those moments when Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6) and someone hears those words being spoken to him or her. I really live for those times.

2. Enjoying my job: Life is far too short to spend our time doing things that make us miserable. Sure, there are good parts and bad parts to every occupation, but I truly enjoy what I am called to do. I love studying the Scriptures, I love teaching, and I love connecting with people around faith. Sure, there are times that I wonder if I have not made a huge mistake, but then God reminds in some way or another that He called me to be a pastor.

3. Vacation: While I enjoy what I do, I also enjoy time away to relax. Ministry is tough work for an introvert and I need time to be quiet and alone. Vacation helps me to do that and I am thankful for it and highly recommend it to everyone. If you cannot take a vacation, you are doing it wrong.

4. Warm feet: During winter I think about my feet a lot. Warm socks and cozy slippers certainly are a luxury in winter, but I support any and all means to maintain warm feet.

5. Family Movie Night: While many family movies leave something to be desired, there are some real gems out there worth watching. Marian is especially fond of any movie involving a monkey. Warm blankets, good snacks and family-friendly entertainment is alright in my book.

6. Dale Bruner's commentary on Matthew: Here's a link to the part 1 of Bruner's excellent commentary on Matthew on Amazon: here. Simply put, this is the best commentary on any biblical book I have ever read. It is simply uplifting and informative.

7. Giving Marian bubble baths: Marian is the cutest little girl I know. She especially enjoys taking baths. She splashes, plays and from time-to-time attempts to drink the water. No matter, when she is done she has that clean baby smell and settles down to take a good long night's sleep. Marian sleeping is good for daddy sleeping.

8. Bringing flowers to my wife: Tamara likes flowers. I like bringing flowers to her. I used to do so more often and now not so much. Hmm, perhaps a new year's resolution is in the works here.

That's my list and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: