Monday, October 5, 2009

Should the Lord will it

I meant to be in San Francisco this morning awaiting my training for reading ordination exams. Instead, I am sitting in my living room. My flight was canceled yesterday due to inclement weather. I suppose I should feel upset, but yet I have peace. After all, who wants to be on an airplane when the pilot/tower are unsure if it is safe to fly.
About a year ago my wife and I were delayed returning from a retreat due to a problem with one of the plane's engines. While our daughter awaited our return at her Nana's house, we calmly lived through the experience (and slept in a really dingy hotel room). A gentleman seated directly in front of us, however, stood up and screamed at the flight attendant, "You get this ----- plane in the air right ----- now, I have a meeting to catch in the morning." He apparently did not care if the plane would fall out of the sky, because he had business to which he needed to attend. I am not sure what meeting is important enough to risk your very life.
This morning I am reminded about the reason for my peace, that is Christ Jesus, our Lord. James, the brother of Jesus once wrote, "Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a town and spend a year there, doing business and making money.' Yet you do not even know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wishes, we will live and do this or that.' " (James 4:13-15). While I may have made other plans, the Lord's will is still sovereign. So when flights are canceled, when people are late for meetings, when sorrows like sea billows roll, I can have peace because I know I follow the Lord and His will will be done.
So instead of traveling today, I will study and pray, visit and meet, but most of all serve the Lord and seek His will.

1 comment:

Amy Florence said...

Hi Bill, I didn't know you were going to read ordination exams! Were you able to get down there? My mom read in Dallas and she said she learned that my exam was probably read in SF so if you made it then I might see your name on the grade sheet.