Saturday, May 2, 2009

Matthew series

"An account of the genesis of Jesus Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham" (Matthew 1:1)
Over the last week I spent a lot of time at a monastery in Mt. Angel. While the contemplative life is certainly not something I could see doing permanently, I appreciate the Benedictine sisters and their mission of hospitality. The peace and calm of the place certainly aided me in study and prayer. As the busyness of life slowed down, the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit was magnified.
I have felt for a while that Matthew was the next step in our preaching at MPC. What I was surprised to discover is that the path through Matthew that I thought might take as much as 7 months, will instead be a journey of over a year.
I hope and pray that the congregation will receive the new series with open arms and join in this journey through Matthew's account of the new creation that began in Jesus Christ.

No comments: